Most Recent Version: 3.1 (Mar 27, 2003)
- Nov 2, 2004
- The XaoS web page will be redesigned in a few
weeks. Its current stage can be always watched
Any feedback is welcome! We also want to release the new
version, 3.1.1, which will be mainly a maintenance release.
- May 23, 2004
- Based on the amazing fast zooming algorithm in XaoS,
Zoltan Kovacs wrote a simple program which can zoom
into complex functions. The coloring method is using the
color wheel visualization algorithm. For details, go to
- Mar 4, 2004
- Giorgio Marazzi updated, fixed and
improved the Spanish catalog file, catalogs/espanhol.cat.
- Sep 8, 2003
- There is a new catalogs/francais.cat file made by Jean-Pierre Demailly (Jean-Pierre.Demailly@ujf-grenoble.fr).
Please note that the DGA driver for XaoS 3.1 will not compile under gcc-3.3
due to some special changes in gcc.
- Mar 27, 2003
- Version 3.1 has been released. It now supports
Microsoft Windows for internationalization and
contains all features added earlier into XaoS.
- Feb 28, 2003
- Unfortunately we were not able to
release version 3.1 in February, however under
Linux and many other Unix-like operating systems
XaoS works very stable. Before trying the latest
version from CVS, please read the current version
of RELEASE_NOTES. Version 3.1
will also contain updated tutorials done
by Andreas Madritsch and hardwired (unelegant) support
for internationalization for Windows users as well.
- Feb 18, 2003
- Before releasing 3.1, there are some test binaries
available mainly for Microsoft Windows (and also
for DOS and Linux). Please read
prerelease notes before downloading any
- Feb 15, 2003
- The release is unfortunately being late for some
days. Please be patient... :-)
- Feb 6, 2003
- Documentation has been updated.
XaoS now compiles on Mac OS X. Release 3.1 is planned
to push out on 15 February 2003 which will contain
DOS and Windows binaries with internationalization as well.
Translators are wanted to start/continue/finish work
on making XaoS available for different languages.
(XaoS 3.1 will support only Czech, Spanish and Hungarian
translations and -- for tutorials only -- German and
French languages. Volunteers are needed for translating
XaoS to other languages.)
- Jan 22, 2003
- XaoS 3.1pre6 is released. This should be the
last prerelease before the official release of version 3.1.
- Jan 15, 2003
- XaoS web page is alive again! We are working
on version 3.1 which contains many major improvements to 3.0.
It also contains some more fractal types,
checked and updated help system and internationalization.
We moved the web pages onto the SourceForge developer
server site and there is a new Czech mirror at
US mirror at xaos.theory.org
is also working, however both mirrors may contain outdated
information. Latest information of developing state
may be viewed on developers page.
XaoS is a fast portable real-time interactive fractal zoomer. It
displays the Mandelbrot set (among other escape time fractals)
and allows you zoom smoothly into the fractal. Various
coloring modes are provided for both the points inside and
outside the selected set. In addition, switching between Julia
and Mandelbrot fractal types and on-the-fly plane switching is
provided. The first version was a minimal X Window Mandelbrot
viewer by Thomas later modified by Jan to support high
frame-rate zooming. Other additions were later made by both
Thomas and Jan including autopilot (for those of you without drivers
licenses), palette changing, GIF saving, and fractal inversion.
You may be interested in viewing our small image and
galleries and tutorial.
You can find further information in the
documentation section including supported platforms,
system requirements, and known bugs/limitations.
- Fast smooth interactive realtime zooming. Even on 486!
- 13 fractal formulas:
- Mandelbrot power 2 - Mandelbrot power 6
- Barnsley1, Barnsley2
- Newton (power of 3 and 4)
- Magnet1, Magnet2
- Autopilot (enhanced in this version)
- [NEW] 8bpp, hicolor, realcolor, black&white,
truecolor (24 or 32bpp) support
- [NEW] Three algorithms for random palettes
- [NEW] Saving to PNG files
- [NEW] Saving/restoring current possition
- [NEW] Animation save/replay
- [NEW] Animated tutorials:
- Introduction to fractals
- Introduction and the Mandelbrot set
- Higher power Mandelbrots
- Newton's method
- Barnsley's formula
- Features overview
- Outcoloring modes
- Incoloring modes
- True-color coloring modes
- Animations and possition files
- Random palettes
- Other noteworthly features
- Whats new
- Supported languages for tutorials:
- [NEW] 10 outcoloring modes + 10 incoloring modes
- [NEW] 10 true-color coloring modes
- [NEW] Boundary detection
- [NEW] Periodicity checking
- [NEW] Unrolled calculation loops
- [NEW] Realtime image rotation
- [NEW] More than 50 examples
- [NEW] An AA driver that provides high quality ascii art
rendering at many platforms
(see AA-project homepage at http://www.ta.jcu.cz/aa)
- both Mandelbrot and Julia forms of fractals
- fast julia preview (now for all formulas)
- special image stretching algorithm for fast zooming
(now reeaches 150 FPS on pentium 130 in fullscreen 320x200 mode)
- solid guessing
- many supported platforms including text mode drivers
- zoom up to 64051194700380384 times
- unzooms more than 1267966761981568116729735090176 times
- Color cycling
- Dynamic resolution (Now really improved)
- Fast julia browsing mode
- Supports non-standard monitor sizes
- [NEW] SMP support
- POSIX threads API
- [NEW] post caluclation filters:
- [NEW] motion blur
- Random dot stereograms in animation
- [NEW] Interlace filter
- [NEW] Two edge detection filters
- [NEW] Starfield generator
- [NEW] Emboss
- [NEW] Palette emulation filter
- [NEW] Dithering on devices w/o user defined palette
- [NEW] Updated help documentation
- [NEW] Internationalization
Send all comments, questions, and suggestions to
Copyright © 1996-2003 by Thomas Marsh and
Jan Hubicka. All rights reserved.
Web design unifying by Zoltan Kovacs
XaoS is a part of the GNU Project and
hosted by SourceForge.
Last modified: Tue Nov 2 0:26:00 UTC 2004